For the 2020 Fall Term: The ECF computer labs are currently closed to the general public, including U of T students.
The closure will remain in place for the duration of the 2020 Fall Term. Remote access remains available.
(Updated September 21, 2020)
Engineering Computer Facilities (ECF) provides a variety of computing services for teaching and research within the Faculty, as well as offering support for departmental computers and computer communication.
ECF has numerous networks accessible to the Faculty from hundreds of Windows workstations. Every undergraduate and graduate student in the Faculty is entitled to an ECF account. Relatively few constraints are placed on the usage of the system. The intention is to have the systems used as often as a student requires for his or her studies, just as one might use a library or other communal resource.
ECF operates four Windows labs and three Linux labs totaling 368 workstations. In addition, there are over 630 Windows workstations accessible from departmental labs in various buildings. Remote access is provided for both Windows and Linux so that students can access ECF software and their files from off campus.
- ECF account activation
- ECF Account and lab rules and regulations for students
- ECF Lab status, schedules, and locations
- ECF Linux and Windows
- Computer accounts and how to obtain help
- Personal web page
- Remote access
- Daily backups
- ECF printing
- Email aliases
- Using a USB flash drive from ECF Linux
- ECF Information for professors and instructors
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
ECF Student Services Website
The ECF Student Services website is a secure website where you can:
- Find out your ECF username
- Activate your ECF account
- Change your ECF password, or set a new one if you have forgotten your current one
- View your ECF print quota and printing history
- View the status and schedules for ECF labs
- Access ECF Windows remote desktop computers
- If your ECF account has been suspended, find out the reason
- Pay amounts owning if you exceeded your print quota for the current term or a previous term
To use most features of the ECF Student Services Website, you must log in using your ECF username and password. If you are an undergrad and do not remember your password, click on the corresponding link from the login page, and you will be asked to authenticate yourself using your UTORid.
ECF Student Services can also be accessed from any workstation in the ECF Labs by logging in with the username and password "account."
What's New at ECF
The Engineering Computing Facility (ECF) is proud to announce the installation of 183 new Windows workstations, which are located in rooms GB 144, GB 150, WB 255 and SF 1106. These computers replace the Dell Optiplex 9010s and 9020s.
The new Windows hardware configuration is as follows:
- Model: Dell Optiplex 7060 Small Form Factor
- CPU: 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz - 6 cores, 12 threads
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
- Video: AMD Radeon RX 550, 4GB
- Hard drive: 512GB M.2 SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive
- Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise