The Music Technology Certificate was designed for U of T Engineering undergraduates interested in exploring the intersection between music, technology and engineering. Through a partnership with the Faculty of Music, U of T Engineering is able to provide engineering students with access to a number of technical courses that are typically only open to music students.
There are courses within this minor that are only eligible as Free Electives (FE) or Extra Courses (EXT). Thus, students who wish to pursue this program may need to take on coursework above and beyond their degree requirements. Students may submit requests to their home departments to take ECE446 and/or technical courses from the Faculty of Music as Technical Elective Substitutions (TES) for their degree programs.
This certificate is open to any student completing an undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering.
Notes regarding enrolment as of July 10, 2020:
- TMU 111H1, TMU 406H1, and HMU 111H1 are available for selection via ACORN.
- One cannot enrol in TMU 130 and TMU 131 through ACORN. If you would like to take either course this year, please email Sharon Brown at email@example.com.
- TMU313, TMU319, TMU320 and TMU330 are not offered this year (2020-21).
- All MUS courses can be added via ACORN. U of T Engineering does not have priority spaces in MUS courses; students will have to wait until August 5, 2020, to add those. All MUS courses in the list below are eligible for the Minor and Certificate. All are currently scheduled as asynchronous offerings:
- MUS110H1-S: Introduction to Music History and Culture
- MUS206H1-F: The World of Opera
- MUS207H1-S: Music for Orchestra
- MUS211H1-F: The World of Popular Music
- MUS212H1-S: Music, Sound & Power in the Middle East
- MUS240H1-F: Heavy Music
Students in the Certificate in Music Technology must successfully complete a minimum of three courses (1.5 FCE) as follows. Note: Each course listed has a course weight of 0.5.
• TMU 111H: Introduction to Computer Applications in Music (FE/EXT)
One of the following courses:
• TMU 130H1: Music Theory I (CS)
• ECE 446H1: Sensory Communication (TE/TES/FE/EXT)
One elective from courses listed below:
• TMU 319H1: Electroacoustic Music I (TES/FE/EXT)
• TMU 320H1: Electroacoustic Music II (TES/FE/EXT)
• TMU 313H1: Introduction to Music Recording (TES/FE/EXT)
• TMU 330H1: Live Coding: Digital Audio in Real Time (TES/FE/EXT)
• TMU 406H1: Max/MSP (TES/FE/EXT)
• HMU 111H1: Introduction to Music & Society (HSS)
• TMU 131H1: Music Theory 2 (CS)
• MUS 110H1: Introduction to Music History and Culture (HSS)
• MUS 111H1: Historical Survey of Western Music (HSS)
• MUS 200H1: Music of the World’s Peoples (HSS)
• MUS 202H1: Beethoven (HSS)
• MUS 204H1: The Age of Bach and Handel (HSS)
• MUS 209H1: Performing Arts of South Asia (HSS)
• MUS 211H1: The World of Popular Music (HSS)
• MUS 212H1: Music, Sound & Power in the Middle East (HSS)
• MUS 215H1: Music of East Asia (HSS)
• MUS 240H1: Heavy Music (HSS)
• MUS 302H1: Symphony (HSS)
• MUS 305H1: Music of Latin America & the Caribbean (HSS)
• MUS 306H1: Popular Music in North America (HSS)
• MUS 308H1: Handel (HSS)
• MUS 321H1: The Beatles (HSS)
• MUS 325H1: Age of Hadyn & Mozart (HSS)
• MUS 335H1: A Social History of the Piano (HSS)