Letters of Permission & Transfer Credits

Letter of Permission

If you would like to take an accredited course at another university and receive credit toward your University of Toronto degree, you must apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP) from the Engineering Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Once approved, the Letter of Permission indicates that the course that you would like to enrol in has been pre-approved by a University of Toronto official; therefore, any credit you earn from the course will count towards your University of Toronto degree.

You may not enrol in an accredited course in another university before you receive official approval — the Letter of Permission — from the Admissions Office, otherwise any credit you earn at the other university may not be transferable to your degree.

To apply for a Letter of Permission, please email the Registrar’s Office (registrar@engineering.utoronto.ca). The fee for a Letter of Permission is $40 (a payment link will be provided).

If your application for a Letter of Permission is approved, you may enrol in the accredited course that was pre-approved by the Office of the Registrar. Once you have successfully completed the course, have the other university send an official transcript of your studies to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer Credits

“Transfer credit” is the term used by the Faculty to describe a course that a student has already taken at another university for which the student would like the credit to count towards their University of Toronto degree.

If you have taken an accredited course at another university and would like credit for it on your University of Toronto transcript, you must speak with your Academic Advisor; typically, transfer credit courses may only count towards your HSS/CS electives.

© 2021 Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering