Plan for Your Upper Years

Minors & Certificates
RobotIn addition to the areas of specialization offered through the Faculty’s core programs, U of T Engineering offers the opportunity to enrich and customize your degree with a range of minors and certificates.

Minors and certificates allow you to complete courses in specialized areas of study including artificial intelligence, engineering business, biomedical engineering and music performance by taking relevant courses throughout your upper years of study. In some cases, you can plan to begin taking courses toward a minor or certificate as early as the summer following your first year. Learn more about minors and certificates.

Engineering Science students, upon completion of their second year of studies, will be able to pursue a major.

Moving from Undeclared (TrackOne) Into Second Year
TrackOne students can move into the following eight Core Programs: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Lassonde Mineral Engineering, Materials Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.

How can I determine which program I want to transfer into after TrackOne?
Undeclared (TrackOne) courses will expose you to the many areas of engineering while preparing you with the foundations needed to continue in any of the Core Programs. We offer special TrackOne seminars in the Winter Term to help you preview the core fields in engineering. Each seminar highlights one of the major areas of engineering with research examples and an overview of career opportunities.

Your other courses will also give you the opportunity to learn more about different disciplines within engineering. For example, in your Engineering Strategies & Practice courses, you will work with students from other programs at U of T Engineering to understand how all the disciplines come together. You can also meet with the First Year Office to discuss your options and help narrow your decision.

How will I transfer from TrackOne to one of the eight core programs at the end of first year?
By mid-May, you will need to decide which of the Core Programs you want to transfer into for the next three years. You will transition smoothly into second year without having to take any additional courses, regardless of which Core Program you chose. TrackOne students who achieve higher than 60% averages in both terms will be able to transfer into any Core Program. If you are not in good academic standing, you may transfer into a Core Program that has space.

Entrepreneurial opportunities
In addition to the Entrepreneurship certificate, U of T Engineering is home to The Entrepreneurship Hatchery, a hothouse for the best ideas of entrepreneurial undergraduate engineers. This initiative allows you to meet other business-minded engineering students and run your ideas through a panel of mentors and seasoned entrepreneurs. If your idea is promising, your mentors will help you take your idea to the next stage, and possibly beyond.

Internship & exchange opportunities

Professional Experience Year Co-op Program (PEY Co-op)
If you were accepted into the Professional Experience Year Co-op Program (PEY Co-op) in your offer of admission to U of T Engineering, your career-development journey will begin in your first year of studies.The Engineering Career Centre will email you in June with details. If you did not opt into PEY Co-op but are interested in joining the program, please email

Engineering Summer Internship Program (ESIP)
An Engineering Summer Internship Program (ESIP) allows you to work for four months during the summer following second or third year. This introductory-level program offers you the right balance of practical and personalized career development. ESIP is a great way to gain professional experience in a short amount of time. Additionally, ESIP is particularly valuable to students in helping them prepare for competitive opportunities like PEY Co-op.

International Exchange
Graduate with a truly global engineering degree and gain an understanding of different cultures by participating in summer research opportunities abroad or a student exchange program for a term or entire year. U of T Engineering students can select from more than 160 institutions in 40 countries: go global.

Practical Experience Requirement
All U of T Engineering programs are fully accredited. But what does that mean for you? Graduating from an accredited engineering program means that you can choose to get your Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) designation. In order to qualify as a P.Eng., Professional Engineering of Ontario stipulates that candidates must demonstrate sound knowledge in engineering and significant practical engineering experience.

As one of the requirements of graduation, all U of T Engineering students must complete 600 hours of practical experience (this equates to roughly one summer of full-time employment). Many students fulfill their 600 hours by participating in PEY Co-op, but there are many ways to complete this requirement, including volunteer work.

Summer Research
Many researchers at U of T (and other universities/institutions) hire students in the summer to assist with their research. To support first-year students within the Faculty in obtaining summer (May – August) experience in a research setting, the Faculty offers a number of First-Year Summer Research Fellowships that you can apply for in the winter term. Have questions? Read our FAQs.

© 2021 Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering