The Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering is pleased to offer online versions of several of our required first-year engineering courses.
These online courses are available to currently-registered U of T Engineering students, as well as students from other institutions who wish to register on a non-degree, special student basis.
Online courses offer flexible scheduling, allowing students to view pre-recorded lecture videos at their own pace, and to complete assignments and tests remotely.*
We recommend online courses for students who are skilled at managing their time and who are comfortable reaching out for assistance if needed. See below.
Online Courses Offered:
- APS160H1 F: Mechanics — offered in fall semesters (September-December)
- APS162H1 F/S: Calculus for Engineers I — offered in summer S sessions (condensed version of course, July-August)
- APS163H1 F/S: Calculus for Engineers II — offered in summer F sessions (condensed version of course, May-June); fall sessions (September-December)
- APS164H1 F: Introductory Chemistry from a Materials Perspective — offered in fall semesters (September-December); winter 2017 (January-April)
*Please note that all online courses involve an in-person final exam component. These exams will be held during regularly-scheduled exam periods on the University of Toronto’s St. George campus.
Students from other universities may be able to complete exams on their home campus. Students may also be able to arrange to complete exams at other universities or educational institutions, subject to approval by the First Year Office and the Faculty Registrar.
Are Online Courses Right for You?
- Do you have the self-discipline to keep up with the lecture content and course work without regular in-person classes? Be honest with yourself — not everyone has this ability!
- Are you interested in being able to have increased flexibility in your timetable?
- Do you feel comfortable emailing an instructor or the First Year Office if you need further assistance?
- Are you able to take initiative, manage your time, and work independently?
- If you find that the online course experience is not for you, or you are struggling with the course content, online courses can be dropped by the published deadline to drop courses in the Academic Calendar. If space is available, you may be able to enrol into the in-class version of the course if you request to do so before the published deadline to add courses in the Academic Calendar.
- Online course tuition fees are assessed at the same rates as in-class course tuition fees.* See the Student Accounts website for further information.
- Are you able to complete the final examination for the course during the regularly-scheduled examination period on the St. George campus in Toronto?We are happy to help you with any questions that you may have about online courses in the First Year Office in GB 170. We can be reached at 416-978-4625 or email@example.com*Note: Tuition for online summer calculus (APS162H1: Calculus for Engineers I) for newly-admitted first-year students is included in fall/winter tuition fees.
The University reserves the right to withdraw courses or sections for which enrolment or resources are insufficient. See detailed policy.