Each year, the Office of the Registrar asks students to indicate which program options and technical elective courses they plan to take in the coming year. The request typically goes out at the beginning of March.
This pre-registration process assists the Faculty in assessing course demand. The information provided is used for course scheduling and to allow the Registrar’s Office to upload students’ courses into ACORN.
When selecting electives, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure they meet the program requirements for their program of study as listed in Curriculum and Programs section of the Academic Calendar.
Students enrolled in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) will complete their preregistration through Magellan. For information on completing your Magellan profile, including deadlines for submission, please contact your department office or visit the Magellan.
Students not enroled in Electrical and Computer Engineering complete their preregistration by submitting a primary plan through Degree Explorer.
The six steps of the primary plan:
- Login to Degree Explorer using your UTOR id
- Create Primary Plan. Click on Planner located in the navigation bar at the top of the site. A popup will appear, which will ask you to create your primary plan. Ensure the Fall and Winter terms accurately reflect the program you will be enrolled in for the upcoming year. Click “create.” If you accidentally click cancel you must log out and log back in again. You will be prompted to create your primary plan.
- Review Program Requirements. Scroll down on the page until you see the Hypothetical terms that have been added to your plan for Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 (refer to diagram). Click the + sign to see the individual requirements of these terms. Take note of those that are listed as incomplete. Referring to the 2015-2016 Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering Calendar identify the courses you would like to select so as to meet all of the incomplete requirements.
- Select Courses. Scroll back up the page to the Planner where your individual courses are listed. Put your cursor over Fall 2016 and click where you see Add Course. Type the course code and click save. Repeat until you have added all of your required courses. Warning: The Planner may not restrict you from adding Winter courses in the Fall Term and vice versa. Refer to the Academic Calendar to ensure you are adding courses to the correct term. Although you are asked to select your HS/CSS electives, these courses will not be automatically added for you in ACORN. You will still have to pick them via SWS in August. The information you submit will be used only for scheduling and course capacity. The same applies to Arts and Science NS Electives.
- Reassessment. After you have added all of your required courses click “Reassess.” This will reassess the requirements for your hypothetical terms. Review your hypothetical term requirements to ensure they are all show as “Complete.” If they are not complete, repeat steps 3-5 until they are.
- Submission. Above the Planner to the right of the red text “This is your Primary Plan” is the submission link. To finalise your selections, click “Submit.” The submission link will only be visible when all of the requirements for the hypothetical terms are complete.
If you encounter difficulty using the system or have curriculum questions, please contact your department’s undergraduate office.